5 alternatives to Google Keyword Planner
Keyword search is one of the most important disciplines of search engine optimization. Only those who know what the most searched terms are, both on Google and other search engines, can report the content of your website in an appropriate way. In this sense, a tool whose use is very difficult to do without is the Google Keyword Planner . The strength of the tool is that it offers detailed data on the monthly search volume or regional differences or information on the competitiveness factor of each of the queries and also the long tail or long tail keywords.
Although the tool allowed you to access accurate results for free for a long period of time, these valuable values are currently reserved for customers who pay to use AdWords services. If there are no ad campaigns , the tool only returns approximate values instead of specific figures. In addition, since June 2016, the Google service groups numerous comparable concepts (singular and plural, word variations in acronyms, etc.), which, in general, has made SEO analysis difficult.
In this article we present you the alternatives to the most attractive Google Keyword Planner and make a comparison of these with the search tool of the technology giant.
Are there alternatives to the Keyword Planner?
The expectations and requirements that are usually raised in relation to a keyword search tool are relatively evident: it should mainly serve to carry out appropriate and large-scale queriesfor the website itself and to be able to present the results in an illustrative and accurate way. The value that, with all certainty, is of vital importance is the monthly search volume of each query. When making an estimate of the alternatives to the Google Keyword Planner, it is rather the degree of detail with which each of them shows this monthly volume. As a user, do you obtain specific figures, estimated numbers or, as with the use of the Keyword Planner without having AdWords campaigns, only a few ranges of general values?
Depending on the type of web project, it may be especially relevant for the tool to provide information on how high the search volume is in certain months or regions when the keyword strategy has a seasonal or regional background . The following aspects can also be decisive in determining the suitability of a tool to search for keywords:
- Long tail keywords : is the tool useful when it comes to finding significant and well-performing keyword combinations?
- Review of the opportunities for success : does the service offer information on the opportunities of success linked to a term with a large volume of searches?
- Competency check : does the tool give an overview of web pages that have a particularly good ranking for a given query?
- Costs : If the basis of your query is the optimization of an ad campaign, the cost factor linked to isolated terms accounts for data that greatly facilitates the planning of your budget.
Moz Pro: Keyword Explorer
An excellent payment alternative to the Keyword Planner is Keyword Explorer, an essential component of the Moz Pro SEO toolset , which, among others, also contains tools for analyzing external links and errors as well as for tracking rankings (both from the page itself and from other pages). This suite can be tested for 30 days for free before resorting to one of the four plans. Depending on the option chosen, daily or monthly searches are restricted (from five per day to 30,000 per month). Apart from the payment variant, there is also the possibility of accessing the search service on the Moz website for free up to twice a day.
To find possible keywords for a specific subject area, the tool uses a database that contains more than 500 million quality searches and is increasing every month. The integrated Fresh Web Explorer offers additional information and classifies the most recent mentions to your brand, your company or the selected keyword. For this purpose, Keyword Explorer uses an index that contains four million RSS feeds and almost 30,000 million URLs.
Keyword Explorer groups the search for a term or topic into three pages:
- Summary : This page provides an overview of all the data derived from the search with the Moz Pro tool. These include information related to the volume of searches, the possibilities of positioning with the corresponding keyword or the potential of the term of search. In addition, the page shows the first five entries of the new suggested keyword and the first three positions of Google search results. The last aspect is made up of three relevant thematic reports prepared by the Fresh Web Explorer.
- Keyword suggestions : As for the suggested keywords, in this case you could talk about up to 1000 related terms and long tail keywords for the chosen concept. For each suggestion, this alternative to the Keyword Planner delivers the monthly search volume and an assessment of the importance. The search filter allows you to specify the result, so you can show the proposals with a specific search power or those that are questions. The complete list can be exported as a CSV file .
- SERP analysis : in this case, Keyword Explorer accesses the first page of Google results and shows the first, followed by very relevant additional information, among which the credibility of the page and the entire domain is counted , as well as the number of remaining domains that redirect to the web page in question or to the entire domain. Likewise, the number of shares on Facebook is also shown and SERP analyzes can be exported in the form of CSV files.
As in the case of the free version of the Keyword Planner, the Moz Pro suite search tool shows all search volumes in approximate values. The figures relating to the competition and the potential of the search terms are shown in percentages.
|Intuitive presentation of search results||It does not provide data on the CPC of the keywords|
|Excellent filtering options to structure the proposed keywords||The search volume of the last months cannot be displayed, in addition it only appears in range values|
|Free trial version (30 days)||It does not give the option of establishing regional differences in search habits|
In 2008, a small group of specialists in SEO and information technologies began to shape a company with the goal that the fight to get users on the World Wide Web became a fair and transparent game. Almost a decade later, SEMrush has more than 350 workers distributed across four countries and is, without a doubt, one of the most popular contact points for online marketing professionals worldwide, regardless of whether you want to perform the analysis of your own project, plan an advertising campaign or optimize the structure of external links.
The American company offers its users more than 100 databases that contain more than 200 million keywordsand that, together with the marketing and analysis services, make this an excellent alternative to the Keyword Planner. To make a brief control of a specific keyword you can use SEMrush without having a payment account, but if you want to carry out a broad keyword search it is advisable to use the monthly subscription (due to the daily limit of checks and other type of restrictions). With the most affordable version you can generate keywords for up to 500 search concepts per month and obtain data related to the volume of searches, the degree of competition or the possible costs in paid searches (advertisements).
In the “Keyword Analytics” column, SEMrush offers all the necessary information to determine which are the most competitive and highest quality words. In this way, the tool allows you to select the Google domain that must be established as a base and thus obtain specific results by language.While this alternative to the Keyword Planner delivers the volume of organic searches in a single rounded value, with the paid search you can obtain an estimated value of the CPC (Cost per click) as well as information on the degree of intensity of competition for the Keyword in question. In addition, SEMrush also has a live view of organic search results, relevant advertising texts and major YouTube videos. For almost all the data of the results you can consult exhaustive reports or export them as Excel, CSV or CSV files delimited by semicolons .
In addition to the information related to the desired search term, which can be accessed for either desktop or mobile traffic, the SEMrush service also presents proposals for new key terms. For these purposes, the tool generates the following two lists:
- Suitable word groups : in this list, the Google Planner alternative proposes possible searches that contain the desired keyword or a variation of it. To generate groups of words of high quality and greater utility, the search tool makes a tour of a regional database.
- Similar keywords: SEMrush analyzes the most important web pages in search engine rankings based on a specific search term to generate a list of keywords that are common to all these web pages.
For both lists of keywords, which can be exported in the aforementioned formats, the user obtains data on the search volume (rounded), on the possible costs and on the SERP sources of the proposals. Users of the “Guru” and “Business” packages have the possibility to consult historical data .
|Excellent reporting and export functions||Complexity when accessing keyword search|
|Possibility of performing detailed analyzes and monitoring of the competition and the web project itself||Not recommended as a free alternative to Keyword Planner (very limited)|
|Possibility of consulting specific search volumes taking into account regional databases||It is not possible to perform regional query analysis|
The mangools SEO package, consisting of SERPChecker and KWFinder , was developed and distributed by the Slovak Internet company itrinity. Both can be used to perform up to 3 searches for free in a 24-hour period of time, which makes the suite also suitable for smaller keyword samples and becomes a good alternative to Google Keyword Planner . Mainly, SERPchecker stands as a complement to the search itself, with whose help regional and global competitors can be located and analyzed. With the purchase of the “Basic” and “Premium” payment packages, the number of possible controls increases to 100 or 500.
To generate data and new keywords for a specific term, KWFinder makes three different options available:
- Suggestions : This standard function allows the tool to search for similar terms and thematic combinations of words. In this case, the database of mangools, which has more than 260 million keywords, and its own algorithm serves as the foundation.
- Autocomplete : in the case of searches with the option of “Autocomplete”, this tool makes use of the autocomplete function of Google. To do this, KWFinder presents the selected term and implements it with different letters or words to generate hundreds of new real-time search phrases that are available to users once the terms are introduced.
- Questions : The “Questions” option allows you to put interrogative particles before the keyword in order to obtain questions that contain the term in question and have a high search volume.
Likewise, for each analysis it can be specified if the tool only has to examine the search habit of users from a specific country or city or if a language has to be defined for the search term issued.
The search results are divided into four thematic areas and the main section is a list of suggested keywords or combinations of words. A second list shows the relevant domains that get a good positioning in Google search results with the desired keyword. In addition, there is also a graph that indicates the level of SEO difficulty (with a scale between 0 and 100) and a diagram that shows the development of the search volume during the last twelve months. The researched word set for the main keyword (in the free version is limited to 25 entries) shows the following five indicators for each suggestion:
- Trend : miniature diagram for the presentation of the performance of the corresponding keyword in the last twelve months.
- Search volume: exact value for the average search volume of the last twelve months.
- CPC : the estimated costs per click when the keyword is used for an advertising campaign.
- PPC : level of competence of the term in PPC marketing (Pay-per-Click or pay-per-click) expressed on a scale of 0 (non-competitive) to 100 (very competitive).
- SEO degree of difficulty: degree of difficulty in positioning with the corresponding keyword, which is determined based on the different SEO criteria (reliability, link strength, social signals, etc.) of the best positioned competitors.
With the help of the filtering function, different keyword proposals can be classified according to their own ideas and wishes. In this way, it can be determined, for example, that only search terms with a certain minimum or maximum CPC or certain words are completely excluded . Once the results have been analyzed and processed in KWFinder for user satisfaction, the data of each of the terms or the complete list can be exported as a CSV file.
|Very detailed results (for example, exact search volume, competitiveness opportunities, keyword history of the last twelve months)||The free edition is very limited|
|Regional Search Results||CPC values are only presented in dollars|
|Function to import your own keywords|
This online keyword tool, which can be accessed through the keywordtool.io website , is under the responsibility of the Chinese company Key Tools Limited, which describes it as the best alternative to Google’s Keyword Planner. According to its developers, the reasons for this statement are, on the one hand, that the free version offers up to a total of 750 long tail proposals for each search and, on the other, that the tool can be used for free (with a 99.99 percent availability) and no need to register. Keyword Tool collects your data from Google Autocomplete, the function for automatic search completion, and Google Suggest,the thematic proposals that users receive when they enter a search term. In this case, it supports more than 190 Google domains and results can be obtained in more than 80 languages.
In addition to the possibility of generating new keywords for the Google search engine and exporting them in a CSV or Excel file, this web service offers the following 4 search functions:
- YouTube : SEO is increasingly important on YouTube . An optimized channel , meaningful tags and strategic titles and descriptions for videos are among the main aspects to consider. Keyword Tool extracts more than 750 recommendations from YouTube Autocomplete, with whose help you can give videos more personality.
- Bing : As a search engine from Microsoft, do not underestimate the importance of Bing, even if its number of users , compared to Google, is lower. Key Tools Limited offers a search function for Bing queries where Bing Autosuggest serves as a starting point for around 600 keywords generated in 40 different languages as standard.
- Amazon : Amazon’s search function works based on the recommended products that the online sales platform automatically offers for a key term. In this way, you can get more than 380 combinations of keywords for a query, which are not only used for the optimization of offers on Amazon, but are also valuable for the SEO of online stores.
- App Store : Autocomplete when searching is also the basis of this keyword tool, with which you can find more than 1000 thematic keywords for the Apple App Store . The results serve as a basis for formulating both the title and the description of the app and contribute greatly to the marketing of your own mobile application.
At the same time, you can also access the most frequently asked questions from Google, YouTube and Bing users regarding the desired term. Through the search filter , it is possible to examine the search result based on certain words. In addition, in the free version it is also possible to exclude up to five keywords from the search (“negative keywords”).
Regarding the search volume of the corresponding keywords, this alternative to the Keyword Planner has certain similarities with the Google tool, and it is that you can only check the exact number of annual searches if you choose the “Pro payment packages Plus ”or“ Pro Basic ”. Otherwise, the Keyword Tool does not offer any search volume. If one of the paid subscriptions is used , then twice as many keywords are received. The “Pro Plus” package also shows competition and costs per click based on AdWords values.
|It takes into account the autocomplete function and thus generates long tail keywords that remain hidden in Keyword Planner||The free version does not show the volume of searches, costs per click or competition|
|Simple export of results in the form of a CSV or Excel file||It does not offer information on the web pages that have a good positioning for the corresponding keywords|
|Lets you get an idea about search habits on Bing, Amazon, YouTube and the App Store||It does not give the option to determine regional differences in the search habit|
When Google was still in the beta phase, the British company Wordtracker was responsible for developing techniques to record the frequency of occurrence of the terms in search engines and to evaluate it. Over time, the Euston company developed different concepts such as the Keyword Efficiency Index (KEI) , which reflects the efficiency of keywords in figures. Your keyword search tool is, without a doubt, among the best alternatives to Keyword Planner, which also has a limited free version that allows up to five searches per day.
Wordtracker is based on a database that contains more than three billion searches (beyond 350 million unique keywords) to which the relevant keywords that the tool acquires from SEMrush are added. On this basis, up to 10,000 relevant keywords are obtained for a single search (depending on the license purchased). The free version limits the amount to 10 terms. Roughly , in addition to proposing keywords, Wordtracker delivers a diagram that summarizes both the interest of the last twelve months and a forecast of search results,which offers a detailed list of the best ranked URLs and, using criteria such as reliability, link strength and position, calculates how complicated it would be to overcome them. Additionally, the tool searches YouTube and Amazon.
The fact that Wordtracker is considered one of the best alternatives to Google’s Keyword Planner is due, above all, to its degree of detail . The free version, for example, shows the exact search volume for each keyword, but also the potential competition (“Comp.”) And the number of web pages to which the corresponding keyword that appears in the title and in the text of a backlink (“IAAT”). If there are sufficient evaluation criteria, the efficiency of a keyword (KEI) can also be obtained. Non-free packages optimize keyword search and derived results through the following features:
- Time period selection : instead of the monthly average, Wordtracker also offers the volume of searches for specific months.
- Selection of the area of influence : while the free version only makes available the alternatives “United States” (USA) and “United Kingdom” (Great Britain), in addition to the issuance of searches conducted worldwide, if resorted to a paid license you can select more than 200 zones from all over the world to refine the search.
- Save and export the list of keywords : with this tool you can save each of the concepts individually or the complete set as a project to access them later at any time. Alternatively, it is also possible to export the list as a CSV file.
- Additional options for keywords : if you opt for the paid version, you will also have access to additional settings to structure the proposed keywords. Among other factors, it can be established whether the plural or only the exact results must be taken into account in the search.
- Access to the Wordtracker API : if the Wordtracker Gold plan is used, the extensive database can be accessed.
Before deciding to buy a version of Wordtracker, the tool gives you the chance to try it for free for a week.
|Offers exact values for search volume||The free edition is very limited (search area, search period, export function, number of possible searches, etc.)|
|Extensive keyword database||Its interface and an unclear presentation of the results make it difficult to work with the tool at the beginning|
|Take into account searches on YouTube and Amazon||It does not offer information on costs per click (CPC)|